Friday, June 7, 2013

Using a Listing Template for eBay Listings.... How to Use Your eBay Template From the Sell Page on eBay

Whether you came here because I gave you the link to show you how to use the eBay template that I made for you, or if you found my page after searching online for help to use a template that you bought from somebody else, thank you for coming.  I will be glad to help you to use your eBay Listing Template. 

If you don't have a listing template, but are thinking of getting one and just want to see how to use one first, please consider allowing me to design one for you.  My prices are reasonable and my customers are satisfied with my work.  You can contact me through my Facebook page and I will answer as soon as I see your message.  Just click the Message button on the right side, under the banner. 

If you don't want to contact me through Facebook, you may contact me through any of my profile pages where I sell online.  Click the Contact Member link on the left side under my avatar on eBay, or click the Contact Seller link on the left side of my Bonanza booth, or use the Contact Me link on my Addoway profile page.

Saving Your Template

If you buy a template that I make, I will send it to you as an email attachment in the form of a Notepad text document.  Save it in your documents in a file where you can easily find it and never make any changes to the original document that I send to you.  If you make any changes to your template, by adding boilerplate (policies and such) to it, you will need to save it with a new name so that you will always have the original template in case you ever need to go back to it.  Do not ever try to save it as a Word or other type of document.  It needs to remain a Notepad document.
I also keep a copy of my templates saved on my desktop so that I don't have to ever open the ones that I have saved in my documents.  You can do this too and that way they are handy to get to in a hurry.

If you need any help with downloading your template and saving it to your computer, I have screen shots of the process on my blog for using a template on Addoway.

Putting Your Template Into a New Listing on eBay

I'm writing this with the assumption that you already know how to list an item on eBay, so I will skip the process of finding your category, giving your listing a title, uploading photos, and all of the rest.  I will only be concentrating on putting your template into a listing and adding your description and policies to the template.

When you get to the Describe the item you're selling window, click on the HTML tab.


Open your Notepad template document if you don't have it open already.  Right click, select all, right click, and copy the code.  Right-Click at the beginning of the HTML edit window in your eBay listing and paste your code into the editor.  Now you can click on the Standard tab to see your template and write your description.


Find the place where I wrote that your description goes and just left click at the end of the phrase and drag your mouse over it to the beginning to select it and just start writing over it.  This will keep the font the same and keep it the same color and size for you.

If you have policy information that you need to add to your template, do it now.  Write your policies or anything else that you want to be in every listing that you make.  When you have everything added that you want to add you need to save your template again with a new file name so that you won't have to add it again.  Do this before you write any description.  
  1. Write your policies and any other information that you want included in every listing
  2. Click the HTML tab again
  3. Select the entire code and copy it and paste it into a NEW Notepad document
  4. Save your edited template with a NEW NAME so that you will not overwrite the original template that I sent to you.
  5. Use your revised template now for your listings.

Adding Your Template to an Existing Listing

You will need to revise your listings one at a time in order to add your template to them.  Once you have clicked to revise your listing, go to the Describe the item you're selling edit window, just like when you are putting it into a new listing, and click the HTML tab. 


You will see the code for your description.  Place your cursor at the very beginning of the code and press enter on your keyboard 3 times to make 3 lines of blank space.



Copy your template code from your Notepad document and paste it at the top of the HTML edit window and then click the Standard button to return to the regular view.


Scroll to find your item description below your template.  Left click and hold while moving your mouse over all of your description to highlight (select) it.  Right click and cut your description.  Now scroll up to find where it goes in your template.  Hold the left click button while you move your mouse over the phrase where your description starts and then  right click and paste your description over it.  Depending on your browser, it might not keep the font and size and color for you, but you can change your font and the size and the color with the editor buttons, just like you can when you are making a listing without a template.
I use Turbo Lister, which is free from eBay, to keep my template in.  That way I do not have to paste it into every listing that I make.  I just start a new listing from my template and it's so easy.  I wrote another blog post about using Turbo Lister with templates and you can see it here.

Let me know if I can design any graphics for you or a listing template.   Click the Contact Member link on the left side under my avatar on eBay, or click the Contact Seller link on the left side of my Bonanza booth, or use the Contact Me link on my Addoway profile page.

Thank you for reading my blog.  Share it with your friends if you know somebody who can use the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment